I have three boys, and much to their dismay, haircuts happen pretty frequently. One easy way for us to save money is by giving them haircuts ourselves … or I should say, my husband is the one who gives the haircuts.
You can do this too! Invest in a good set of hair clippers. For a girl, you’ll need a comb with a pointy end, some clips, a spray bottle, and some haircutting scissors. These items are not very expensive at Walmart or other big box stores.
If you’ve never given a haircut before, fear not. That’s what YouTube is for!
If your child seems resistant, here are some tips to help keep this a pleasant experience for you and your child.
- Give advance notice with a nice pep talk. You don’t want to catch them off guard by suddenly appearing with clippers in hand while they’re playing, announcing, “It’s haircut time!” That’s just scary!
- Having a haircutting cape is helpful, but sometimes, the little hairs still get in there, making them itchy and wiggly during the haircutting session. You can take some toilet paper, enough to fit around their neck. Fold it lengthwise a couple of times, so it looks like a long, thin piece of paper. Wrap it around their neck, then put the cape just on top of the toilet paper, which acts as a barrier
- Use a barstool. This makes it easier on your back. If you’re concerned that they might fall off, you can try a highchair or booster chair.
- Play a favorite movie. Even better, let them pick one out. This may help the squirmy types. Also, if your child is afraid of the humming sound of the clippers, turn the volume of the movie way up.
- Have a treat ready during the haircutting. We don’t do this anymore, but we did it a lot when our boys were younger because they were scared of the clippers. Our treat of choice was M&M’s. Pop one in their mouth when they start to fuss, and it’s like magic. It also helps when they have to tilt their head a certain way because you can hold out the candy in the direction you want them to turn.
- Give them lots of praises and encouragement, and when it’s all over, be sure to squeal over how cute they look!
Have you ever given your child a haircut? Share your experience!
Click on the image below to vote for my blog.
One Click = One Vote
Linking up to
Manic Mondays Blog Hop